September 18, 1938

c/o C. M. & S. Co. Ltd.

Yellowknife, N. W. T.

September 18th /38

Dear Mother:

It was quit a surprise to hear you are going to California.  You had told me before but that was before Uncle had arrived and so, hearing nothing further, I did not know whether it would materialize.  

I very much hope this letter reaches you before you leave as there are a few things I want sent to Edmonton.  These are my grey tweed suit, black shoes and bracers.  Please send them care of the King Edward Hotel in Edmonton and have them marked in some way indicating they are to be held until I call for them.  I hope to arrive in Edmonton any time after the 10th so you can see it is important to send them before you leave.

The weather continues to be fairly warm here but it cannot turn cold too soon for me even though we moved up to the new office today where there is no heat as yet.

Incidentally we chose a poor day to move the office as it rained hard in the afternoon but I do not think any important papers were spoilt.  The others may like the new office—I hate it.  The site chosen for the payroll desk is hemmed in on three sides by walls with no windows so that there won’t be a day in the year when I can turn off the light.  Also there is a wicket on one side which means that anyone coming in will be bothering me.  I guess I can stick it for three weeks but later there will have to be a re-arrangement.

The second gold brick was poured last week.  Not so large as the first but still about fifty pounds and only two weeks after the first.

I don’t know whether you still subscribe to “Life” but you must get a copy of the Oct. 19th issue.  I think you will find it interesting.  [sic—The issue in question is that of September 19, 1938, which contains a “Photographic Essay” entitled “Gold: Its Historic Boom Makes Camp Life At Yellowknife Profitable Fun”.]

A week ago today one of the muckers wandered off with his camera to take some pictures.  He has not been seen since.  On Tuesday a small, and on Wednesday a little larger, search party was organized to comb the vicinity but I was completely disgusted with the extraordinary laxity of the superintendent over this matter.  Remember it was one of our men and yet in town a fund was started and two planes had been send [sic] out besides several Indians and miscellaneous searchers.  Yesterday Bill Jewitt arrived and I imagine he was fairly annoyed because this morning we had three planes escorting men eight miles back from where they walked back to camp.  No definite trase [sic] has been found yet and it looks pretty hopeless to me.

On Monday we held a dance in the new empty cookhouse which was very successful.  It was decorated with balloons and streamers so was quite attractive.

Eric and I had a grand sail a few nights ago.  We had gone over town and while there a terrific gale started.  We debated on whether we should walk home but decided against that and came home with just the mainsail.  It was very gusty and whenever these hit we had to let out the sail.  It was very exciting and I don’t remember ever sailing in stronger gusts than these were.  It was pitch dark too so that succesful [sic] sailing between mainland and Joliffe Island and surrounding rocks depended largely on a good sense of direction accompanied by luck.

My congratulations to Archie.  He certainly did well.

Well I guess you will be saying “California here I come” soon so good luck to you.

With love from


Life Magazine, September 19, 1938

Next Letter